Out-of-State Relocation With Children

Relocation is becoming an increasingly prevalent issue amongst divorcing couples. Once a divorce is finalized one of the parents may relocate out of New Jersey for a new job, a fresh start or a remarriage. If child relocation is the issue, various important legal factors must be addressed. These cases require a family law attorney who has extensive knowledge of the law and who can also negotiate proficiently among all the involved parties and counsel.

At Lane & Lane, LLC, we take a strategic approach when handling cases involving parent or child relocation. We have the skill and experience when it comes to addressing the legal considerations of these interstate issue situations with an emphasis on preserving sensitive family relationships.

If you have questions or need qualified counsel concerning child relocation petitions, contact our Somerville, New Jersey, office by calling 908-524-0788 to arrange a consultation today.

Child Relocation Considerations

One of the primary concerns in an out-of-state or international relocation petition is that the parenting time schedule supports the parent's relationship with the child. If a parent is relocating without the child, we can help apply to the court for a modification of a child custody or parenting time agreement.

Considerations for relocating a child to another state include:

  • The best interest of the child
  • The child's preference depending on the child's age
  • The benefit of the relocation for the child, including schools, medical care, extended family, recreational programs, etc.
  • The amount of contact with both parents

If one parent resides in one state or country and another parent resides or is moving to a different state or country, there may be a question about which state has the authority to hear the matter.

Our lawyers can help you determine which venue will be appropriate. We are familiar with the controlling legislation used for these types of matters, including the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) and International Child Abduction Remedies Act (ICARA) particularly when one parent fails to comply with an existing court order.

Somerville, New Jersey Attorneys Handling Move-Away Issues and Petitions

Send an e-mail or call our Somerville, New Jersey, office at 908-524-0788 today. We help people throughout central New Jersey including Somerset, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Morris and Monmouth counties as well as Sussex, Bergan, Passaic, Hudson, Essex, Union, Ocean, Mercer and Burlington Counties.