Somerville Office
Child Support Modification Agreement with a Pen, pair of glasses and a gavel

Modifying Your Support Obligations

Few things in life are ever set in stone. If you believe your child support or spousal support order should be modified, you can request the court to review your circumstances and decide if they are substantial enough to warrant a change. Generally, when it comes to child-related decisions, a judge favors stability above all else, so a post-divorce modification may not be granted unless you can provide sufficient reasons and show a permanent change in circumstance.

Modifying Your Child Support Order

In New Jersey, the Court may grant a post-divorce modification of a child support order if a parent experiences a substantial change in circumstances. The changes must be permanent. If the paying parent quit his or her job to reduce or eliminate child support payments, a judge will likely not grant this modification since the job loss was planned.

Below are some of the factors a judge will examine when considering a modification of the child support order:

  • The child’s needs
  • Each parent’s economic circumstances and standard of living
  • The debts and liabilities of each parent
  • Each parent’s sources of income
  • Each parent’s earning ability
  • The age and health of the parents and the child
  • If either parent is responsible for the support of other people
  • Any other factors a judge deems relevant

Modifying Your Spousal Support Order

If your former spouse remarries, your spousal support order will automatically terminate. Additionally, in New Jersey, you can modify your spousal support order if you experienced a substantial change in circumstances.

Below are some of the circumstances in which a judge might modify your spousal support order:

  • A change in cost of living
  • Illness or disability
  • Retirement
  • Loss of employment or reduced income
  • Substantial inheritance
  • The receiving party enters a marriage-like relationship and cohabitates with the individual

Discuss Your Post-Divorce Modification Case with an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today!

If you need a modification to your spousal support or child support order, contact the experienced team at Lane & Lane, LLC for the guidance you need to smoothly navigate this process. With over six decades of collective legal experience on our side, you can feel certain that you will receive the exceptional legal assistance you deserve. No family law matter is too complex for our team to handle.

Get started on the process of requesting your post-divorce modification and reach out to our law office at (908) 259-6673 to set up a consultation with a knowledgeable member of our legal team.